This is the easiest and most delicious chili that MY KIDS WILL ACTUALLY EAT. Y’all, I prepped it all in under 15 minutes, threw it in my slow cooker and it was ready when we got home! A winner in my book.
Put all ingredients in slow cooker for 8ish hours on low (See notes for Instant Pot directions):
- 2 lbs grass fed ground beef, cooked and drained of fat. (Ground turkey is a great sub, too)
- 1 small diced yellow onion, sautéed in olive oil
- 1-2 cups sweet potato (roasted and puréed). This adds great flavor, texture and nutrients… and my kids don’t even know it’s in there! 👊)
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups bone broth (I LOVE Kettle & Fire beef bone broth)
Seasoning: (SKIP the prepackaged chili mixes as they have lots of added ingredients and sugar!)
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less depending on your heat preference)
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
*Top with avocado and herbs of your choice! I love scallions or cilantro. Today I had scallions on hand to use.
**This makes a lot. It is PERFECT to feed your family for dinner and then freeze leftovers for a quick meal later OR use it as your meal prep for the week. Eat by itself, stuff a sweet potato and then add some guac on top, or serve over sweet potato nachos.
**Easy swap: If you don’t have sweet potatoes on hand, or just dont want to deal with roasting and pureeing, try stirring in frozen cauliflower and sweet potato “rice”.
**This can also be made in the Instant Pot. Place all ingredients in the IP, then push the “meat/stew” button. This will automatically set the IP to cook for 35 minutes. Make sure the steam valve is closed.
**MOM HACK: If you are like me, there is not much extra time in the mornings to prep something to go in the slow cooker. Here’s a little trick that I started doing a few years ago that has been a game changer… prep it all the night before and put the whole crockpot insert in your fridge. Pull it out before you leave for work, plug it in and go. Come home to an amazing home cooked meal without having to add stress to your morning routine.